Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dyeing: Gina's Results ...Finally!

 To use up the remaining dye I used a large foil baker as I had run out of containers for dyeing. I placed a layer of crunched fabrics in the bottom, poured the dyes over them trying to keep the colors somewhat separated. Then I layered more fabrics on top. The top layer I poked gently with a stick trying to allow some white spaces to remain. I don't think the aluminum container had any effect on the fabrics but the dye had an effect on the container. It appeared discolored on the bottom afterwards .... perhaps from the dyes or more likely the soda ash?   Thought I'd leave the feet in the photo!
Below are the two fabrics that were on top. I'm happy with the bits of white that separate the colors.

The fabrics on the bottom are darker with little or no white....


I'm not sure if the one above was in that pile or in a separate container.

Cups of tiny samples after a quick rinse, they are sitting in hot water with detergent. They sat for over a day but still need more washing. Too tiny makes for tough hand washing! They are just going into a notebook so they can run if they like ....


 A few of my favorites....... beer caps tied into the fabric below....

 Maybe not a favorite but a green .....

 Paperclips....
 More paper clips.....
 The over-dyes ..... the lime green is actually more green than what shows in the photo.

 The fabric tied onto the pvc pipe.....
 Just another blue....
Traditional tie-dye....
 Folded and tied with just black dye....

1 comment:

Jackie Kirner said...

I like the top fabric that has a bit of white betweeen the colors, You had a lot of dye to use up! I'd forgotten about the pole wrap shibori prepped piece too.

I wouldn't worry about the samples running either.

(haven't worked in time to use up my dyes - not sure how long they're good for. I'll pour them over something soon!)